Thursday 22 March 2012

Evaluation Activity 1 - Conventions of Real Media Products.


1. Story And How The Opening Sets It Up
The plot of my story is to introduce you to the scene that is occuring around my main character, and from the general direction that my actor is walking you can identify that the purpose is to get to a destination. The lack of exitement shows that it moves you towards the general direction of a drama, as it has no plot for the clip at the moment. Iwas trying to make it seem as the plot would gradually grow as the film progressed, leaving an confusing introduction for the audiance.

2. Title Font And Style
The font for this title is different to the fonts on each clip, further bringing across the fundamental idea of confusion. I have made sure however that each font helps the audiance understand that this is a drama clip, as the font is bold and stands out to the viewer. The placement is so that it encourages the viewer to look in the general direction to where the character is going to sit, as you can see this from my clip. I think that this gives it a more interesting look.

3. Costumes And Props
The use of plain clothing suggests my characters lack of caring on her appearance, but i made sure that she was wearing a hoodie so that she could hide away from what she was seeing. This was effective in making her fade more into the background where the lighting is considerably darker. The props used was the bag which she placed on the table, making it more understanding that she was in school. Again, the bag is plain and understated.

4. Genre and How The Opening Suggests it.
The genre of this clip is drama, and drama's can resolve around the idea that the unknown is recognised, which I have managed to achieve with the editing of this clip. I have made my other character dissolve and fade away from the screen, which is effective in making the audiance realise what is happening in this sequence. I think that this is the best achievement of my oepning two minutes, as this is what makes the audiance interested and want to watch further for what is going to happen.

5. How The Characters Are Introduced
My main character is introduced through the use of dark lighting which hides her face, this makes the audiance question whether she wants to be seen. I tried to make it seem like it was a representation of her shying away from everyone around her, which is why the audiance question to the character that dissapears what her role is going to progress to in this clip.

6. Setting/Location
I made sure that the setting was empty and had different angles, which is why i used a series of establishing shots. The one in particualr that I have chosen is a good example as it has the sunset of the scenery. This was a representation of the day growing progressively lighter, to which my main character then comes out from the hill. I made sure the hill was also used so that it looked like my character had travelled a distance before she made the top.

7. The Title Of My Film
The title of my film comes up at the end of my opening two minutes, and this is typical in films as it allows the audiances to understand the surroundings of the plot a little better first. Puttting this on the black background gives the audiance a glimpse at the genre of the film, which is a drama. The use of drama is portrayed in the font as I have made it literal in the sense that it is dramatic on the screen compared to the dark background. This I think I have successfully put across as it becomes the main focus of the audinace and the name of the film is remembered. I changed the name of the title as I progressed as the clip began to make my main character more agitated and the plot of heroin doesn't happen until much further in the two minutes, so again I changed the title to the literal sense of her being paranoid.

8. Special Effects
I had used a minimal amount of special effects, but the effects that I did use were on the lighting of the beginning establishing shots. Some were too light for the setting that I was trying to gradually grow lighter, so I added some fading in to make it look more darker. I think I achieved this as it looks as if it is getting darker and this way my clip wasn't a waste to use. I also think the use of clouds allows the audiance to see the day, and it adds a contrast to how the character should be feeling.

9. Camerawork Editing
My camera work editing was with the text on different areas of the screen, as some areas worked more effectively than others to achieve the rule of thirds for the text. I think that mine works well to stand out against the blue of the sky, again contrasting with the happy emotions that this colour should be giving the audiance to the font that is used to support this. The bold could symbolise that the audiance knows more than the character does by an urgency that could be related to it, and this grows further to open the film. This is why I think I have succeeded in the conventions of real media products.

No comments:

Post a Comment