Wednesday 2 November 2011

What Are You Doing Here? Video Clip Created.


I had done a test to practice the use of camera shots, and how to compose a film together. I had used different effects to make this piece more believable in its aesthetcis for the genre I tried to create. I was firstly told to create three different clips and scenes of different genre's in order to put together and make this film, and I did this in three different areas to represent different ideas. The first clip I created was to represent a teenage cliche, and make the scene more happy to the viewers. This is shown by the acting and the mutual relashionship that is shown by the connotation that you can hear in the diegetic sound of our voices. I decided to use an old movie effect to make this scene as I was trying to represent and make the viewer interpret that this clip wasn't from present time, and send the viewer back to an easier time. I did this as I thought it would be cliched as this is genuinly what chick flicks contain. I had decided to use a high angle panning shot, the panning shot was so the audiance can see Bekky move along the screen and where she is headed, and I used the high angle shot to make it seem distant, and therefore makes the audiance distant to the scene. I think I was successful in the idea of the shots and views, but what I struggled and found unsuccessful was how to get the message across to viewers that this is first clip was in a different time era. This could help me improve for the opening two minutes I am going to create. I used the field stairs as a setting as it is stereotypical for teenagers to be around in an empty place to be around, which makes the scene more believable.
I did the next clip in a mid shot to follow Jasmine's movements as she walks to the bathroom sink. The use of mise-en-scene is used to interpret to the viewer that this is a horror film, as I used the cliched idea of the setting that the bathroom is a vulnerable place to be and the audiance feel more uncomfortable at the scene they are set in. The first part of the clip is zoomed in, and this is so you can see the facial expession that are used, and the audiance can connect to how she is feeling. The camera follows and pans her as she makes her way to the the sink, and this lets the reader take in the scene around her. The audiance see a quick shot of the objectivity of fear, which is effective as the audiance feel more involved in the film as they know what is about to happen before they do. This also links in with the cliched idea of horror films. This links to the past clip as I used the effect of the page turning to link one scene to another, which is what I tried to use as an effect to see where one clip ends and the other begins. I tried to make this an understanding to the viewer that the clip is back to the present time by the page turning to try and represent the first clip as a story to where it ends, and that the next clip is a new chapter. I don't think this is successful as it doesn't bring it across that its a time differenciated clip, which is what I need to do by, for example, text or non-diegetic dialogue next time. I chose a black and white effect for this clip as it adds more intensity to the clip, and the audiance can understand this as being atmospheric. The effect of the mirror is that it adds cliche to the horror genre as it it used to show the objectivity of fear behind the mirror. This would be effective as it shows I have understood the idea of horror and how it should be presented. The simple use of the zooming in of the wash basin adds a diversion to the mirror for a short time in order to make the objectivity of fear appear in the background. As they appear in the background it is cliched that they would be there, but it is also still apprehensive to the viewer. I think I was successful with the background use in the clip and the light effects which cover the face, but I think it needed more planning to make it more effective.

The last shot was made by using a bright light to go from one scene to another, this was so I could show that the last scene linked with the scene that is happening at this time, the character I play is the objectivity of fear they are hiding from, but from this scene it was meant to be interpreted as the villian, this means that it merged from horror to action. I think that I did succeed in this as they both can mix in their cliche's, and that this works well to keep the viewer concentrated to the clip. I used a low angle shot to show the importance of the character as she runs to the corner of the camera, and this makes the viewer completely identify with the clip. I used a panning shot next to show the area to which the camera is looking at, which is nothingness. This is effective as it can represent horro and action, and it links well with the past clip. The use of mise-en-scene in the empty areas is effective as it makes the viewer eager to find what it is there hiding from, revealing the darkest desires of the viewer as they anticipate the character that is feared of the objectivity of fear to be hurt. This was what we considered as we filmed, and I think this needs more input and thought out ways of showing this in order to represent this propaly in the clip. The camera pans quickly back to show Jasmine jumping out at Bekky, who uses the phrase that is included in all the clips. This was the one phrase we could say in each of our clips, to see how we could change the effectiveness of each way of saying this. This was effective as it made the audiance qustion what they are hiding from. To end the clip I again used light effects, this time I decided to use a darkness at the end to make the audiance question how the scene would have played out if continued. I think this was effective as it means that it can show that the film would have continued if not for the limited clips, which is why I didn't include credits. I thought this out and I think it works well into making the audiance understand that that wasn't the finishing clip of the film if made.

I think this was a successful start to the clips as me, Jasmine and Bekky worked together to form a group of clips that can be easily seen and understood to what genre they were meant to be, and the thought was inside the clips but they couldn't be fully represented. I think to improve in my own two minute piece I need to present and use dialogue to clearly state what is happening in each of the scenes, then this could work better. The use of effects however makes this clip more insightful to how the audiance should be feeling, and the order of the clips has been thought out to create a short film. This is what I think I have succeeded on.

No comments:

Post a Comment